When it comes to roller coasters, Cedar Point has long been known for having the biggest and the best. But with the addition of its brand-new, world-class athletic complex, the Cedar Point peninsula hopes to bring its reputation of providing visitors with an exciting, one-of-a-kind experience to all new heights. And much like Cedar Point’s coasters, its new $42 million, 260,000-square-foot Sports Center is breathtaking!
Cedar Point has already earned the title of “roller coaster capital of the world”, and area officials believe opening the new Cedar Point Sports Center will further promote Sandusky as a premier destination for sports, events, and entertainment in the Midwest. The cleverly designed complex is able to accommodate a variety of tournaments, youth sports leagues, team practices, and community events and includes a long list of amenities for residents and visitors alike to enjoy all year round – including:
- Over 145,000 square feet of playing space consisting of 10 full-size basketball courts that can be converted to 20 full-size volleyball courts or plenty of open floor space for wrestling, gymnastics, cheerleading, and more
- A “Championship Court” with retractable seating that can seat up to 700 attendees
- A children’s play area with climbing walls, a “ninja warrior” course, a “Ballocity”, soft play areas, and an arcade
- A community fitness center and one-eight-mile-long indoor walking track
- Team rooms and training and physical therapy rooms
- Party space available to rent
- The 30,000-square-foot Lee Jewett Sports Medicine Center
With plenty of flexible space and fun activities, the Cedar Point Sports Center was designed to keep players and their families comfortable both during and between the big games. Tournaments can be long and tiresome for everyone if not held in the right environment, but an abundance of natural light helps keep the atmosphere at Cedar Point Sports Center bright and refreshing. One way this is accomplished is through the application of translucent panel daylighting. The Guardian 275® wall systems along the center’s Championship Court bring in soft, diffuse daylight while still controlling glare and heat. This provides a pleasant, energy efficient way to illuminate the large space so spectators are comfortable and able to easily sit and watch the entire game. The translucent systems also offer privacy and prevent potential distractions from the outside.
For athletic facilities like the Cedar Point Sports Center that require a comfortable, controlled environment for athletes and their families to focus on the sport, Major’s Guardian 275® wall systems and skylights offer a strong, dependable solution. To learn more about how translucent panel daylighting systems can be applied, check out our Daylighting Design Guide for Athletic Facilities.
Architect: Osborn Engineering
Contractor: Mosser Construction
Installer: Interstate Commercial Glass & Door
Representative: Olson Architectural Products