Major Industries has been a leader in the daylighting industry for more than four decades, and our success is rooted in our employees, their skill and the pride they take in their work. We’re a small company with big plans, and look for diverse applicants from a variety of backgrounds. If you think your talents might be a good fit, you can find out more about Major’s culture below, and read more about open opportunities in manufacturing, office, and technical positions.
Read about open opportunities below, and apply online or contact us for more information.
The Sales Estimator is responsible for supporting the outside architectural representatives and dealers, as well as the outside sales staff. They provide immediate customer support in several critical areas including estimating (quotations) and product line information. This position performs a critical function by acting as a contact for our customers. The Estimator provides information and coordinates internal resources as needed to satisfy our customers’ needs.
JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Quoting/estimating of Major’s skylight and translucent product lines. Follow up responsibilities include calling customers to verify receipt of quote and their satisfaction with our price and service.
- Field support, basic product training, identifying the need for architectural approval and submitting samples for approval packages as needed to optimize bid results.
- Coordination responsibility for the quotation of product installation and outside specialty purchases.
- Entering sales orders into Major’s business system.
- Frequently review procedures to attain and maintain the highest level of productivity possible in the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to interpret blueprints.
- Ability to develop extensive knowledge about Major’s materials and production processes and departmental procedures.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, prioritize work and coordinate various activities simultaneously to meet requested quote dates
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- High level of math aptitude and analytical skills.
- Ability to stay current with product line features and benefits and National Account programs.
- Ability to function as a strong team player and work efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Knowledge of and skill in using computer software, including MS Word and MS Excel.
- Skill in operating various pieces of office equipment, such as a personal computer, calculator and copy machine.
- Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers and business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to speak and comprehend English fluently.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
An Associate degree in mechanical or architectural design or related technical area is desired. Additional training, seminars or experience in a manufacturing environment are decided pluses. Lack of a college degree will not be a deterrent if the individual has relevant business experience and a track record of previous success.
Major Industries is currently seeking a Design Drafter. This person will be responsible for drafting and manufacturing support on customer job projects in the company. This includes generating submittal drawings, production drawings, bills of material, accurate materials entry into our business system, and manufacturing support. The Design Drafter provides immediate customer support in the areas of project drawings and technical issues. This position requires extensive interaction with other functions in the company, and detailed record and drawing maintenance.
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
- Prepare submittal drawings from sales quotations and project specifications. Communicate with architects, representatives, and contractors as needed for clarification of customer needs and specifications. Requires knowledge of Major’s component parts.
- Solve architectural design issues, product functionality, and product fabrication issues utilizing knowledge of Major’s component parts, the appropriate usage of each part, and the interchangeability of parts.
- Entry of accurate job bill of materials and methods of manufacturing into Major’s integrated computer system in support of job specifications and approved drawings.
- Support sales department on technical issues relating to all product lines, and assist sales on architectural visits when necessary.
- Provide accurate production and fabrication drawings for factory personnel.
- Review and check work done by other drafters. This includes drawings and the job bill of materials and methods expectations.
- Be available for field service work. This includes field repair and new installations of all product lines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to develop extensive knowledge about Major’s processes of materials, production, and architectural submittals.
- High level of math and analytical skills.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural drawings, as well as knowledge of drawing standards.
- Ability to understand design loading, structural calculations, and 3-D drawing.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD (version 2015 or higher).
- Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers, and business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to speak and comprehend English fluently.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, prioritize work, and coordinate various activities simultaneously.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Educational requirements include an associate degree in mechanical or architectural design. Lack of a college degree will not be a deterrent if the individual has the relevant successful business experience and track record.
This position offers a generous salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, 401K plan matching, paid holidays and more.
Please contact Major Industries for the full job description, as well as any other possible openings and opportunities.
Translucent Panel & Metal Fabrication
We are currently seeking various candidates for fabrication (Metal Fabrication) and/or Assembly (Translucent Panel) positions. Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to learn basic fabrication and assembly skills with the opportunity to grow within the assigned department. Exposure to blueprint reading, welding, hand tools, and machinery is preferred. Extreme attention to detail and an eye for exceptional quality is required.
First Shift: 6am – 2:30pm Monday thru Friday
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES MUST HAVE:
- Ability to read basic blueprints
- Ability to read/use a tape measure
- Ability to use power tools, saws, hand tools, notchers, grinders and drill presses
- Possess a high detail to quality and safety
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Contact Major Industries for salary information
Why Work for Major Industries?
By becoming a Major Industries employee, you’re joining a group of creative and dedicated individuals who enjoy the craftsmanship and skill required to create advanced daylighting systems that are designed to help create beautiful and beneficial spaces. As our skylights, canopies and wall systems can be found on everything from schools to military facilities, you’ll also feel pride in knowing that your work is benefiting a wide variety of people, and helping them to live, learn and work in a more pleasant and beneficial environment.
Major Industries is located in Wausau, Wisconsin, roughly half-way between Green Bay and Minneapolis. Its small town feel, thriving arts community, and numerous options for outdoor activities make it a great place to live and raise a family. Wausau is also home to a large Southeast Asian community, specifically Hmong Americans, and Major proudly reflects this in its diverse employee base, as roughly 1/5th of our workforce is of Hmong descent.
Whether you’re interested in a first shift manufacturing position in our clean and friendly plant, or in an office or administrative position, we’re looking for talented, bright, fun and motivated people to join our team. Opportunities are available for people with a wide range of experience and backgrounds – whether you’re looking to save money for college, find new opportunities, or start a new career.
What can we offer you? A great benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance options, 401K plans with matched contributions, incentive programs, flexibility, and numerous opportunities to grow and learn.
Contact our Human Resources department for more information on available openings and opportunities:
Forests, hills, trails, hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, cultural events, small-town comforts – you can find it all in the Greater Wausau Area! Just a few hours from major metropolitan centers, and close to Wisconsin’s northwoods, Wausau is a great spot to work and play. Click on the image above to learn more.